Ruth Jones Nichols ’96
A Letter from the Chief Diversity Officer
William & Mary is committed to advancing a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for all of our students, faculty, staff and alumni. Our community is comprised of individuals with different backgrounds, talents and skills and our vision is for everyone on and off campus to feel supported and affirmed.
Through the For the Bold campaign — and other initiatives across campus — we will build on efforts to enhance diversity and create a place where inclusive excellence is synonymous with William & Mary in word and deed. Philanthropic support and an engaged community that is dedicated to advancing our mission are vital to meet our goals.
Collectively, we can increase diversity among our faculty, student body population and academic programs and offerings. Together, we can fulfill our vision of providing an enriching and inclusive experience for our dynamic and vibrant community.
We hope you will help us pursue our vision and make a gift today!
Fanchon "Chon" Glover M.Ed. ’99, Ed.D. ’06
Chief Diversity Officer
Diversity & Inclusion Links
- 50th Anniversary of African Americans in Residence
- Task Force on Race and Race Relations
- The Neurodiversity Initiative
- The Lemon Project
- The Middle Passage Project
Diversity & Inclusion News
- Black at William & Mary - Fall 2017 Alumni Magazine
- Thomas to new students: "Get some light and share it."
- Progress continues on recommendations from W&M's task force on race
- W&M kicks off 50th commemoration with mural unveiling
- Hulon Willis Association celebrates 25th anniversary
- Shenkman Jewish Center to be constructed for W&M students
- Military Mondays: W&M and Starbucks share a cup with veterans
- W&M dedicates first buildings named for people of color
- Ernst & Young gives $1 million gift to support diversity and efforts at School of Business
- Camp Launch for gifted middle-school students
- Pride and prejudice: W&M's LGBTQ community
- Association of 1775 Commitment to Military Service Scholarship
Supports full-time William & Mary students who have demonstrated engagement with the United States military through active or reserve duty, or are enrolled in an armed services commissioning program.
- Boswell Initiative
Supports teaching and scholarship on dimensions of LGBT life, both within the U.S. and globally.
- Camp Launch
Supports the Center for Gifted Education’s Camp Launch program in the School of Education.
- Carroll F. S. Hardy Scholarship Endowment *
Honors the late Dr. Carroll F.S. Hardy, an esteemed administrator who impacted the lives of multiple generations of William & Mary students and students from across the country from under-represented backgrounds.
- Center for Diversity
Supports the Center for Student Diversity at William & Mary.
- Diversity and Inclusion Fund
Supports the most pressing needs of the Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity, or its successor program, at William & Mary.
- Dr. Betty Shabazz Lecture Endowment *
Honors the late Dr. Betty Shabazz and supports an annual lecture in multicultural affairs.
- EY Diversity and Inclusiveness Fund
Supports and promotes diversity and inclusiveness learning at the Raymond A. Mason School of Business.
- Hulon L. Willis, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Endowment *
Recognizes students who have made significant contributions to the multicultural community at William & Mary.
- Hulon Willis Association Operating Account
Supports programs, events, and alumni engagement initiatives of the Hulon Willis Association, William & Mary’s African-American alumni affinity group.
- Legacy Garden
Honors the first three African-American residential students at William & Mary and those that came before them. Learn more about the project.
- Multicultural Affairs Endowment *
Supports diversity programming at William & Mary.
- Neurodiversity Initiative
Provides programmatic support for the Neurodiversity Initiative.
- Patriot's Dream Veterans Scholarship Fund
Provides scholarship support for veteran undergraduate students enrolled at the university with a preference to juniors and seniors.
- Puller Veterans Benefit Clinic
Supports veterans legal rights and veterans seeking legal aid.
- Richard Cornish Library Endowment *
Supports the purchase of materials to enrich the collections of the Earl Gregg Swem Library in literature and materials by and about gays and lesbians.
- W&M GALA Oral History Project
Supports the documentation of stories of the lives of W&M gay and lesbian alumni, faculty, staff and students.
- William & Mary Scholar Undergraduate Research Experience (WMSURE)
Provides operational and programmatic support for the participants in the WMSURE program.
* - Indicates an endowed fund.
To build upon existing efforts, the university aspires to create the following:
- An endowed lecture series.
- An innovation fund.
- Faculty fellowships
- Staff diversity initiatives
To learn more or support these efforts, please contact Earl Granger.